In the last decade, buttermilk chicken took the world by storm. Many renowned restaurants specializing in buttermilk chicken such as Jibril, Buttermilk Kitchen, and Gold Chilli have soared in popularity due to its’ increase in demand.
It comes as no surprise that the winning combination of creamy-spicy buttermilk sauce and crispy, succulent chicken has induced an almost-obsessive buttermilk chicken fandom. Since you are reading this buttermilk chicken recipe. I can only guess that you are part of the fandom.
Tips for Making Buttermilk Chicken
This is a flexible recipe where you can adjust the portion of each ingredient to your liking. Add more chilli padi, if you fancy breaking out in sweats and that extra kick. Meanwhile, add more corn starch, if you prefer a creamier sauce.
Alternatively, you can use other meats like fish or pork. If you are pressed for time during the weekdays, you can make and freeze an extra batch of sauce and marinated chicken on the weekend. This way, you can whip up a quick and delicious meal whenever you want.
You may also marinate the chicken overnight to enhance the chicken’s flavour and tenderness.
Buttermilk Chicken Recipe: How to Make Buttermilk Chicken
Source: Buttermilk Kitchen
400g chicken, cubed or cut into pieces
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 ½ cups rice flour (or flour)
Vegetable oil, to fry
- In a bowl, add chicken cubes, salt, pepper, curry powder and vinegar and mix well. Set aside for an hour before cooking.
- Crack a whole egg into the bowl and coat each chicken piece evenly.
- 3 In a second bowl, add flour. Coat each chicken piece with the flour and shake off excess.
- Heat up vegetable oil in a deep pan. Then, fry chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes until golden and crispy on all sides.
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cups evaporated milk
¼ cup condensed milk
3 sprigs curry leaves
3 chilli padi (green or red)
3 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon water, cold or room temperature
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
- In a separate frying pan, add unsalted butter, chilli padi and garlic and fry until fragrant, approximately 1 minute.
- Toss in curry leaves and fry for another minute.
- Stir in evaporated milk and condensed milk, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mix corn starch and water well, then pour into the pan. Let simmer until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and pour over chicken, making sure sauce is evenly distributed.
- Serve chicken with white rice.
Ways to Enjoy Buttermilk Chicken
Though buttermilk chicken is usually enjoyed with a steaming bowl of rice, it goes great with almost anything. If you want to balance out the calories and richness, enjoy it with a salad. Alternatively, you could also enjoy it as a side with garlic fried rice or even some maggi goreng for some carb-y goodness.
You can also enjoy the buttermilk and chicken separately. Feel free to pour the buttermilk sauce over anything or use it as a dip. The fried chicken is equally delicious on its own too!
By the way, did you know you can find more delicious recipes on LokaTaste Recipe?