I have 3 words for you: Salted. Egg. Yolk. It is the golden liquid with flavours that are savoury, sweet and everything nice. The salted egg yolk trend may have blown up in 2015, but its undeniable deliciousness is here to stay.
Delicacies with this golden liquid are pretty particular so, if you find yourself craving it, the search might be a hard one. Fret not. We are here to help! Here is a list of salted egg yolk goodies and where to get them.
1. Dotty’s Salted Egg Yolk Cronut
What better way to enjoy a creamy salted egg yolk sauce than on a cronut (a crossover between croissant and doughnut)? In particular, Dotty’s has a crunchy outside, covered in liquid gold while the inside is soft, airy and filled with more liquid gold. With that amount of sauce, you are going to need some napkins.
Besides the cronuts, Dotty offers a salted egg yolk burnt cheesecake and a salted egg pasta with soft shell crab.
#Dotty’s at TTDI
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 8:00am-10:00pm
- Contact information: +603 7733 4233
#Le Petit Dotty’s at Platinum Park, Persiaran KLCC
- Operating hours: Monday – Friday, 7.30am-6pm, Sat-Sun & public holidays, 7.30am-3.00pm
- Contact information: +603 2181 1023
#Dotty’s Pastries & Coffee, Suria KLCC
- Operating Hours: Monday – Sunday, 7.30am-10.00pm
- Contact information: +603 2181 1375
2. Inside Scoop’s Salted Egg Yolk Waffle
This was truly the rage. It is so delicious; friends swore by it. Inside Scoop’s salted egg yolk waffle was and still is one of the best. Worried that this heavy drizzle of salted egg yolk sauce is not enough, Inside Scoops gives you a full syringe of it. Seems like injecting it into the waffle is the best way to enjoy it.
- Outlets: https://insidescoop.com.my/pages/our-locations
- Contact information: +6012-623 2971
3. The Insider’s Golden Chocolate Lava Cake
Ready for more oozy golden goodness? The Insider has prepared for you their Golden Chocolate Lava Cake. Once you cut into it, the golden liquid oozes out, and you can enjoy it with their serving of vanilla ice cream, pistachios and mix berries. Cutting into this lava cake makes a killer boomerang for your Instagram story too.
- Address: 31, Jalan Telawi 3, 59100 Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Tuesday – Sunday, 5:00pm-01:00am
- Contact information: +603 2201 1282
4. Strangers at 47
Salted egg yolk taste as good on savoury dishes too, especially on light and well-made crepe. Strangers at 47 have always been well known for their crepes and mouth-watering fillings. Their Shore to Please crepe is no exception. It is filled with cajun fresh tiger, battered squid, butter sauteed spinach, other delicious ingredients and, finally, salted egg yolk sauce to tie it all together.
- Address: 47, Jalan 17/45 46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Wednesday – Monday, 10:00am-08:00pm
- Contact information: +603 7498 1034
5. myBurgerLab’s Ultraman
Biting into this burger with the salted egg yolk buttermilk sauce, which is infused with chilli padi and blended curry leaves, must be the most satisfying bite ever. You might need a bib and napkins because this sauce is about to get all over. It coats and drenches the fried chicken thigh, drips over the burger bun and will eventually implode your tastebuds. This has brought the burger and golden liquid experience to a superior level.
- Outlets: https://myburgerlab.com/store-locations/
- Contact information: 010-369 5275
6. Wondermama’s Salted Egg-splosive Fried Rice
The classic egg fried rice, but with salted egg.
Looks may deceive you, but your tastebuds won’t. The salted egg is so well incorporated into the fried rice, you can’t spot it, but you will be hooked after that first bite. Even Uncle Roger can’t say no to this. Crispy fried shrimps and houbaodan (fried sunny side eggs) are served alongside to enhance the dish.
- Address: Lot S131, 2nd Floor 1 Utama Shopping Centre, Lebuh Bandar Utama, Bandar Utama, 47800 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Monday – Thursday, 11:00am-10:00pm, Friday, 11:00am-10:30pm, Saturday, 10:00am-10:30pm, Sunday, 10:00am-10:00pm
- Contact information: +603 7732 2911
Craving something else? Then explore more local food guides on lokataste.com