Claypot Chicken is no stranger to fellow Malaysians. This dish makes one of the most popular side dishes in many Chinese households. It consists of marinated chicken pieces, soaked in a thick and flavourful sauce, along with other vegetables such as mushrooms, carrots, and onions.
In this article, we will be sharing one of the easiest recipes of Claypot Chicken that is beginner-friendly. Let’s check it out!
Tips for Making Claypot Chicken
Claypot Chicken is a very versatile dish. Aside from the ingredients listed below. Feel free to use any vegetables and meat of your choice. Some popular options are carrots, onions, daikon, and Cantonese sausages.
It is advisable to use chicken leg quarters in this recipe. However, you can use any parts of the chicken in this dish, including bone-in chicken with skin and chicken breasts.
The dark soy sauce in this recipe serves colouring purposes and is optional. You can eliminate this ingredient based on your liking.
Claypot Chicken Recipe
This dish has marinated chicken pieces cooked in a thick and flavourful sauce. It is often served with mushrooms, onions, and carrots.
340 g of chicken pieces, cut into bite-sized cubes
6 shiitake mushrooms, dried
2 tablespoons oil
1- inch ginger, peeled and sliced
½ cup of water
2 stalks of scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
Salt to taste
1/2 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine
1/2 tablespoon of corn-starch
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
2 tablespoons of Shaoxing wine
1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
3 dashes of white pepper
3 drops of dark soy sauce
- Prepare a bowl to marinate the chicken with the marinade for at least 15 minutes. Mix the chicken pieces well with the marinade before setting them aside in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients well and set aside
- Soak and soften the mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes. Then, remove their stems and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Set up a clay pot over medium heat. Pout some oil into the clay pot.
- When the oil is heated, stir-fry the ginger until you smell the fragrance. Next, add the marinated chicken pieces into the clay pot. Continue to stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
- Put in the mushrooms and sauce. Stir the ingredients well before adding in water.
- Allow the dish to simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- When the sauce thickens, add in scallions and mix the ingredients well. Add some salt to taste if needed.
- Dish and serve!
|Note: Another popular variation to this dish is the Claypot Chicken Rice. Without having to prepare steamed rice separately, this variation allows you to cook a one-pot meal easily and quickly.|
Ways to Enjoy Claypot Chicken
Serve this dish while it is sizzling hot. Pair the chicken with a bowl of white rice. This dish makes the perfect side for lunch and dinner.
Individuals who enjoy spice can add some chopped bird’s eye chillies into the dish. The chillies can be added along with sauce ingredients or during the garnishing process.
Explore other popular delights with Lokataste Recipe and more!