This delicacy is a prime example of western food made Malaysian. You can find a Ramly stall at almost all corners of our nation. These burgers have always been the go-to meal when you’re in the mood for a burger on a budget. Unlike most high-end places selling burgers, customisation is key at most Ramly burger stores.
So, an order like ‘double cheese, special, tak nak sayur, sauce lebih, daging garing, tambah mayonnaise’ is standard and welcomed in these humble stores. If you’ve never had a try on these burgers before, check out this recipe on how to make your own burgers at home!
Origin of Ramly Burger
This is an authentic Malaysian burger created by Ramly Moknin. The owner first opened a mobile kiosk on Lorong Haji Hussin in Kuala Lumpur in 1979. Soon, Ramly burgers became a hit. What makes Ramly burgers unique are the egg coated patties and burgers doused in sauce.
Ramly Burger RecipeDifficulty: Easy
These saucy Ramly burgers are the best burgers you’ll ever be making. It’s so simple; you won’t break a sweat making them!
2 burger buns
4 Ramly chicken or beef patties
1 cucumber (sliced)
1 red onion (sliced)
1 tomato (sliced)
1 handful lettuce (wash and dried)
- To make the sauce:
Ground black pepper
1tsp curry powder
Black pepper sauce
- First, prepare a bowl of onion sauce. Blend half the red onion with a little sugar and salt (about 1/8 tsp). Add one tsp of water to make sure the sauce is runny. This will add moisture to your patty.
- Next, on a hot pan, add a tbsp. of margarine. Then, place the patties on the pan. After 2 minutes on one side, remove from the heat and slice the patty in half (like an open book) and sprinkle on some black pepper and curry powder in the middle. Close the patty and cook the other side. Liberally sprinkle the onion sauce on the cooked side of the patty. Remove from heat after 2 minutes.
- Using the oil from the patty, crack one egg at a time onto the pan. Use a spatula and spread out the egg as much as you can. Be sure to act quick; eggs cook up in a few seconds! While the egg is cooking, sprinkle on some curry powder, black pepper and onion sauce. Then place two of the cooked patties in the middle of the cooking egg. Carefully pick up the sides of the spread out egg and wrap the patties.
- Next, spread some margarine on the inside of the halved burger buns. Cook for a minute.
- Now, time to assemble your burger. Top your burger bun with lettuce, chilli sauce and mayonnaise. Add the egg coated patty, tomatoes and onions. Serve.
Ways to Enjoy Ramly Burger
Best eaten while hot, add on a little Worcestershire sauce if you have some. Another great way to make this burger better is by adding a slice of cheese! What’s better than a cheesy burger?
Explore other popular Malaysian delights with Lokataste Recipe and more!