You are on Penang Island and the first thing on your agenda is café-hopping, but there are endless cafes to choose from, and you only have so little time. Most importantly, you want to visit Penang cafes worth your time, buck, and belly space (the calories must be worth it), and it must be Instagrammable.
Do not fret. Because we got you covered. Here are 10 chic cafes on Penang Island, specially picked out by a Penangite, for you.
1. Norm Micro Roastery
Norm is a local coffee company that serves a well-curated menu of sophisticated dishes and desserts. They did a fantastic job balancing the flavours and texture of the tiramisu, the Kahlua was not overpowering, and the ladyfingers were soaked nicely.
Norm is hidden away in what looks like an old warehouse, but the interior’s aesthetic is minimalistic and elegant. The high ceiling also accentuates Norm’s minimalistic and industrial-esque design.
- Address: 13, Gat Lebuh Gereja 10300 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 9:00am-10:00pm
- Contact information: 016-527 6273
2. Constant Gardener Coffee
Constant Gardener is a multi-roasters coffee shop and a favourite of coffee enthusiasts. They have Ethiopia, Honduras, Costa Rica coffees etc. and Constant Gardener always ensures that they bring the best flavours out of these beans. In short, coffee truly is their speciality.
They, however, do offer single origin hot chocolates as well if you are looking for non-caffeine drinks. I recommend the Vietnamese (65%) hot chocolate.
- Address: 9 Lebuh Light, Ground Floor, Penang Chinese Chamber of Commerce Building 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 9:00am-8:00pm
- Contact information: 011- 6078 7883
3. Ome by Spacebar Coffee
Ome by Spacebar Coffee is an old-timer amongst the Penang cafes. You know what they say, OLD IS GOLD. They specialize in filter coffees and source their beans from the UK, specifically UK roasters, Hasbean and Square Mile.
Ome by Spacebar operates in a rustic prewar heritage house, featuring brick walls and open ceilings. So, this makes the perfect backdrop for the gram.
- Address: No 1, Lorong Toh Aka 10100 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Friday – Wednesday, 8:00am-6:00pm
- Contact information: 019-309 1450
4. The Alley, 5 Stewart Lane
The Alley is a quaint little café tucked away on Stewart Lane, hidden in plain sight. It is the kind of café you stumble upon and make a delightful discovery. You enter this cosy space, order some coffee and, of course, their in-house churros and take a seat. Hours pass by, and you find yourself unwilling to leave The Alley because everything was too damn good.
- Address: 5, Stewart Lane 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Monday – Thursday, 10:00am-6:00pm, Friday – Sunday, 10:00am-10:00pm
- Contact information: 017-373 4829
5. Komichi Tea House
Komichi Tea House is a dark horse in the Penang cafes scene. Unlike their fellow café friends, they specialize in tea, specifically Japan-imported matcha. Most importantly, it isn’t from some random farm, but one of the partner’s father’s tea farm. So, you know the quality is there.
Komichi Tea House also offers a mix of traditional Japanese sweets like anmistu and slightly modern desserts like hojicha swiss rolls.
- Address: 20, Lorong Toh Aka, George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Friday – Sunday, 11:30am-2:30pm
- Contact information: 012- 4788852
6. The Habitat Shop and Café
Nothing is more aesthetic and Instagrammable than a café on a hill.
The Habitat offers a unique café experience. It allows you to surround yourself with towering trees, enjoy the tranquillity of Mother Nature and potentially spot an adorable family of dusky leaf langurs (the most cutest monkeys). The Habitat has floor-to-ceiling glass walls so, you can enjoy the view throughout your entire visit.
The experience is truly unique, and the view is indeed breathtaking.
- Address: The Habitat Penang Hill, Bukit Bendera, 11300 Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 9:00am-6:30pm
- Contact information: 04-826 7677
7. Macallum Connoisseurs
Macallum Connoisseurs is not only a café but also a roastery, restaurant and academy. If you are familiar with Penang’s café scene, then you know that Macallum is an OG. Throughout the years, they have established and made a name for themselves, which can only mean good food and good coffee.
They serve a mean plate of egg benedicts in the morning, some killer burgers for lunch and dinner, and of course, a plate of decadent caramel pancakes for dessert. They roast their coffee beans in-house as well so, you can enjoy that incredible aroma during your visit.
- Address: 1 Gat Lebuh Macallum 10300 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 9:00am-10:00pm
- Contact information: 04-261 3597
TEMU is like the new mysterious (and maybe hot) transfer student. In short, they serve some impressive visuals; I mean in their exterior and interior designs and food presentation. They pique your interest, leading you to stalk their socials potentially.
(-cough cough- We did the stalking for you.) And Instagram alone proves how aesthetically pleasing they are. Plus, their signature TEMU coffee is delish.
Lastly, they are new so, maybe they will have more to show and surprise you.
- Address: 62, Lebuh Melayu 10300 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 10:00am-6:00pm
- Contact information: 04-226 1863
9. Little Collins Street Café
Little Collins Street Café takes the award for unique interior. Their building used to be a clinic, but it is now filled with sophisticated wooden furniture and European and Asian paintings propped against a grunge painted wall.
In this unique industrial-esque backdrop, they serve various pastries such as their pistachio escargot, danishes and croissants.
- Address: 57， Burmah Road 10050 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 9:00am-6:00pm
A gathering of greeneries camouflages Kafka, a café hiding behind the Penang Flying Club. Kafka’s there ready to welcome you into its serene space and to offer you their medley of breakfast, lunch, and dinner dishes.
Kafka’s drinks menu is the definition of ‘spoilt for choice”. They have cold-pressed juice, beer, milkshakes etc., and there are around 5 choices for each category. Not only that, but you can choose your coffee bean as well.
- Address: 15, Jalan Kelawai, 10250 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 8:00am-8:00pm
- Contact information: 04-218 9726
Now you have this list, and you are ready for your Penang café-hopping journey. Starting on a new food adventure? Then explore more local food guides on lokataste.com.