We’re calling out all fans of chicken curry! If you’re one of them who enjoy chicken curry as much as we do; this recipe for Gulai Ayam is just for you. This dish which is full of Southeast Asian flavours, will make your jaw drop! The ingredients in making this aromatic curry dish are simple; the same goes to making it as well. To ensure that it turns out delicious, you’ll need the right spice paste, spices and herbs.
History of Gulai Ayam
Although Gulai Ayam is highly prevalent in Malaysia, the origin of this place is actually from our neighbouring country, Indonesia! It is often found in Sumatra, Indonesia. As a matter of fact – Gulai is a type of curry in Indonesia; hence explaining why there are so many curry dishes in the country with the name ‘Gulai’. Additionally, this dish has an Indian influence to it as well!
Gulai Ayam Recipe
If you’re looking for a dish to be in your menu for this week – Gulai Ayam is the answer. With its thick, yellowish and spicy broth, it will definitely give your taste buds a wake-up call.
300 g of chicken
2 cups of water
5 ml of cooking oil
100 g of fresh coconut milk
- CHILLI PASTE
50 g of red onion
20 g of red chilli
10 g of ginger
20 g of garlic
5 g of fresh turmeric
10 g of galangal
50 g of gulai paste
15 g of chicken masala powder
20 g of curry powder
5 g of brown sugar
50 g of turmeric juice
5 g of salt
- Start by blending all the chilli paste ingredients.
- Next, pre-heat some oil and start stir-frying the chilli paste. Then, add in the spices. Stir-fry it until it becomes fragrant.
- Put in 2 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Once it boils, add in the chicken and cover it. Allow it to boil more. With low heat, let it cook for 35 minutes until the chicken turns tender.
- Lastly, add the seasonings in. Leave the concoction to boil for 2-3 minutes.
Ways to Enjoy Gulai Ayam
Just like Malaysia’s local chicken curry, you can enjoy Gulai Ayam by eating it with a plate of rice. Moreover, you can enjoy it with plain bread too! Whichever way you choose to savour this dish with; it will still taste spectacular. Eat up!
For more recipes on tasty dishes, explore Lokataste Recipe!