We LOVE fried chicken! There is no better treat than the crunchy and flavourful skin paired with the tender and juicy meat of fried chicken. This dish is so widely celebrated in Malaysia that each household has a distinct recipe of ayam goreng.
While some choose cover marinated chicken pieces with bread crumbs, many Malaysian households incorporate turmeric and chilli powder into their fried chicken recipes.
Fired chicken makes the perfect snack and side dish. Pair the dish up with a plate of rice and some vegetables to get a balanced meal. In this article, we’ll be spilling the tea on how to make the most delicious fried chicken.
Origin of Fried Chicken
Across different cultures and nations, there are distinctive ways of preparing fried chicken. In Malaysia, the Ayam Goreng Rempah is truly a tribute of our loyalty to spices.
This style of cooking is said to have hailed from Indonesia. The fried chicken of this variation is neither coated in batter nor flour, but rather seasoned in various spices.
Fried Chicken RecipeDifficulty: Easy
In this recipe, we’ll be teaching you the Malaysian way of preparing fried chicken. Be prepared to coat your chicken with herbs and spices!
1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
- Spice rub:
1 large red onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 inches of ginger
2 inches of galangal
5 pieces of dried chilli
3 stalks of lemongrass
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
½ tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon tamarinds paste
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon rice flour
1tablespoon corn flour
1 teaspoon salt
1sprig of curry leaves
- In a food processor, blend all the spice ingredients into a fine paste. Do not add water.
- Next, rub both the spice mix and the marinade mix onto the chicken pieces and let sit overnight. If you’re in a rush, marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a large wok over medium-high heat, pour in some oil for deep-frying. Add in the chicken and cover the lid of the wok. Try not to overcrowd the wok as it may cause the chicken to absorb more oil. Fry the chicken for 8-10 minutes.
- Before your timer goes off, remove the lid and let the chicken fry on high heat for another 2 minutes. By frying the chicken on high heat, you’ll get crispy skins and juicy meats!
- Once you have fried all your chicken, do not discard the clumps of spices at the bottom of the marinade bowl. Instead, fry the leftover spices until they turn brown. Remove and garnish your fried chicken with the crispy herbs and fried spices!
Ways to Enjoy Ayam Goreng
Since this fried chicken is already very flavourful, the best way to enjoy this dish is to serve it with a bowl of plain white rice, with a bottle of sweet soy sauce at hand.
Spice lovers, do pair the fried chicken with some sambal belacan. This combination will definitely satisfy your taste buds!
On the other hand, those who have a sweet tooth can serve the fried chicken with some sweet tomato sauce or ketchup.
Explore lokataste.com for more wholesome Malaysian recipes.